Description: For its construction part of the plot of the Moorish castle was assigned in 1489 and other properties were added in 1492 and 1495, being completed as church in 1505.The building was finished towards the middle of the sixteenth century. It is a good example of the columnar church group, of Renaissance Andalusia, displaying a wonderful symbiosis of classical, Gothic and Mudejar elements. The Baroque decoration, has dominated since its restoration in the eighteenth century. During the Civil War the golden altarpiece and the collection of images were destroyed, however still to be admired are the now restored altarpiece and two other singular pieces: the sculpture of Nuestra Señora de los Angeles – a sixteenth century work of artistic value – and one of the Virgen de la Fuensanta, patron saint of Coín. The latter is only 11 centimeters tall, a late Gothic work from the late fifteenth century. It is believed, that it was brought to the village by some Christian knight in time of the Reconquest.
Location: C/ Compás, 3
Opening hours: to consult
Contact: Tel. 952 45 00 37